Anyone who has more than one child and says they don’t have a favourite is lying. The favourite may change weekly or even daily, but you have one. Here, I used to give kid of the week
award. It was a failure when the same kid kept winning so I had to scrap it, but I still mentally do it.
This week, I had husband of the week award. Technically, I’ve only got one so it should have been a one man race. Only he wasn’t the winner – my sister was.
She’s been staying with me the past week while my other half has been overseas. I’ve made a list on why she not only won it, she smashed it in.
1. She comes home on time. When she says 630, she’s home. Not “I will tell you 630 but I really mean 10pm or later” When she gets home, she pours a wine.
2. She doesn’t ask what I’ve done all day. This is handy, because it means I don’t have to lie, pretending the kids were awful instead of the truth – I sat on Facebook all day and did nothing. Then, she pours a wine.
3. She cooks dinner AND washes up. This deserves a gold medal. I hate cooking and cleaning as you well know. As she’s cooking, she’s drinking wine.
4. After dinner she baths the toddler. While she’s in there, she’s drinking wine.
5. Once the bath is done she sits and plays with the kids. Watches tv with them and then gets the toddler his bottle and sits with him then tells him it’s time for bed. She reads one-handed to him, while holding her wine.
6. After the kids are all in bed she gets her own child to bed (yes she has only one) then sits down with her wine and watches tv or talks on the phone. I get to pick the channel.
7. Once the tv show is finished – she says goodnight and goes to her own bed. Sometimes she sneaks the wine when she thinks I’m not watching.
It was one comment though that sealed the deal for me this week – “you have the hardest job in the world and I wouldn’t do it for quids”
What she hasn’t realised is she’s done it all, and it’s only cost me 5 bottles of wine.